Yummy dinner last night! Chicken with Bell Peppers and Hominy. Got it from Eating Well Magazine, which I’d never tried before. This was simple and easy. You can find the recipe at that link, but here’s a quick rundown with my substitutions. The one on the site is for four, this is halved for two.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil—really might not even need that much
- little less than a pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped—I did four small sweet yellow, red, and orange peppers
- 1 cups sliced carrots —I did just a little more than a cup of multi-colored carrots
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoons water
- 1 can 15 oz hominy, rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced—-didn’t halve this because garlic is awesome
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- juice of 1/2 of a lime
- a few pieces of diced avocado—didn’t use this on my portion, it’s an extra that I didn’t think it needed
Cook chicken in a skillet over medium-high heat in the canola oil with half the cumin and salt. 5-7 minutes, just till it’s done. Put the chicken in a bowl, toss it with the cilantro, cover to keep it warm. In the same skillet (no additional oil) add the peppers, carrots, onions, water, rest of salt and cook about 5 minutes or so till the veggies are tender but not mushy. Add hominy, garlic, rest of cumin and cook about a minute. Add chiles and lime and cook one last minute.
Fill the plate with the veggies then top with chicken. It’s fairly hearty but not at all heavy and lots of flavor. It’s pretty as a picture, too.
Like I said, I didn’t add the avocado to mine. Not a fan really. Here’s the nutrition info as prepared from the original recipe:
- Serving size: ¾ cup chicken & 1½ cups stir-fry each
- Per serving: 415 calories; 15 g fat(2 g sat); 10 g fiber; 34 g carbohydrates; 37 g protein; 123 mcg folate; 103 mg cholesterol; 10 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 12,846 IU vitamin A; 102 mg vitamin C; 86 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 485 mg sodium; 1,200 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (257% daily value), Vitamin C (170% dv), Folate (31% dv)